IKEA armchair - BEFORE and AFTER
So, while we were out, the kids and I found this little chair on the side of the road.
(in Switzerland, when you want to get rid of your furniture, you can put it outside on the curb and call the city to have them pick it up.
Meanwhile, a lot of times someone will walk by and give the item a new home)
IKEA used to make these little chairs a few years ago, but when I had wanted to get one,
they no longer had them.
The blue cover on this old one was worn and discolored.
I opened up the seams and used the blue cover as a pattern to make a new one.
(stripy fabric from IKEA)
Then when we went to IKEA a few weeks ago, we spotted this POÄNG chair from the new catalog in the kids' section.
For this one, I just covered the cushions (the white cover is still underneath)
I used the white cover as a guide for size and shape.
The new cover could do with being a bit more snug around the cushion, but I might actually add a bit of padding to the chair
- that cushion is wafer thin. The kids don't seem to mind though.
I wasn't sure my sewing machine could handle all the layers of fabric at the top (where the head cushion is attached),
so I sewed on a strip of velcro before sewing the cushion covers together.
The playroom with the new armchairs.